The Spring ’24 Release Notes are now available! Looking for an overview of the main features? Look no further!
Spring ’24 brings many updates to analytics. Here are some of the main ones.
Lightning Reports & Dashboards
- Transfer Lightning Dashboard Ownership (Generally Available). Change the owner of a Dashboard. Select whether to notify the new owner. Bulk transfer dashboard ownership via the Analytics tab.
- Supercharge Your Visualizations with Images, Rich Text, and Dashboard Widgets in All Salesforce Editions. Add rich text and images to Dashboards in all editions (previously limited to Performance and Unlimited edition). Components renamed ‘Widgets’. Up to 25 widgets can be added to a Dashboard.
- Focus Your View with More Dashboard Filters in All Salesforce Editions. Add up to 5 Dashboard Filters for your Lightning Dashboards in any edition. This brings parity with Performance and Unlimited editions.
- Reveal Actionable Data with Summary Filters in Lightning Reports (Beta). Apply filters on summary report groupings to focus on key records.
- Easily Update Fields in Lightning Report Filters. Update fields in Lightning Report Filters without recreating the filter.
- Rearrange Multiple Lightning Report Columns at Once. Select and rearrange (drag) multiple columns in a Lightning Report.
- Filter Report Types by Objects or Fields in Enterprise and Performance Editions. Search Report Types by object or field. This brings parity with Unlimited edition.
Unified Analytics Experiences
- Control Report and Dashboard Sharing from the Analytics Tab. Folder sharing for Reports and Dashboards is now accessible via the Analytics tab.
- Bulk Select Reports & Dashboards. Select multiple Reports or Dashboards and perform bulk actions (e.g. moving to a different folder, changing owners, deleting, etc).
- IdeaExchange Delivered: Add Fields from Related Objects to Dynamic Forms-Enabled Pages. Display data from related records (via relationship fields) on Dynamic Forms. Drill down up to two levels. Polymorphic relationships are not supported.
- See a Field’s Object Relationship and API Name in Dynamic Forms. View Object and API details for fields in the Lightning App Builder when using Dynamic Forms.
- Set Field Visibility by Device in Dynamic Forms. Define visibility rules based on Form Factor for individual fields (i.e. easily control if a specific field displays for users on mobile vs desktop).
Einstein AI Features
A significant number of Einstein AI features are covered in the Spring ’24 release notes. Check out the flipchart below for a summary of the main ones.
- Enjoy a Richer Email Composer Experience. A new, responsive HTML 5 editor is available for orgs with email-to-case enabled.
- Improvements to Email-to-Case. The default character limit for the email body has been raised from 32,000 to 131,072 without needing to contact support. Customise Lightning threading preferences. A new field (EmailRoutingAddress) has also been added to Email Message object for easier inbound routing.
Flow continues to innovate in Spring ’24. Here are some of the key updates:
- Create Multiple Instances of a Set of Fields with the New Repeater Component (Beta). Allow users to ‘add more’ in a single screen with the Repeater Component in screen flows. Add child components (e.g. text, date, etc) into the Repeater Component.
- Use More Components to React to Changes on the Same Screen (Generally Available). Display Text and Long Text can now react to changes to other components on the same screen. Visual enhancements also made to other components (e.g. decimal places, commas, currency symbols and date formats).
- Validate User Input for More Screen Components. Validate data inputs into more screen components (e.g. Name, Address and Data Table).
- Run Event-Triggered Flows as Workflow User. You can select if event-triggered Flows are run as the user who triggered the Flow, or as the org’s default workflow user.
- Save the Progress of Your Flow as You Build Expanded to More Elements. Save a Flow at any time of configuration (except for screens and actions). Any outstanding items are displayed as warnings.
- Identify Flows Containing Email Alerts. The Email Alert page in Setup has a new section (Flows Using This Email Alert). This shows the Flow name, version, description, object and if the Flow is active. Ideal for seeing where an Email Alert is being used!
Winter ’24 introduced ‘Enhanced Omni-Channel’: a new experience designed to help agents and supervisors (e.g. paused work, improved notifications etc). Spring ’24 is expanding on this. For example, Enhanced Omni-Channel is now accessible via apps with standard navigation. The queueable work items limit has also been increased to 300,000 for Enhanced Omni-Channel (still 200,000 on standard).
Other key updates include:
- Get the Most out of Omni-Channel with the Sidebar Layout. New (persistent & collapsible) Omni-Channel sidebar to allow agents to easily switch between items. The existing utility-bar widget is still available.
- Create a Custom Omni Supervisor Page. Create Omni Supervisor Lightning pages with custom tabs.
- Swiftly Tailor Omni Supervisor to Your Supervisors’ Needs with Configurable Tabs. Set which tabs are visible for Supervisor Configurations.
- Get Notified Before Deleting Permission Sets Assigned to Users. An error message is shown if you try to delete a Permission Set assigned to a User, either directly or via a Permission Set Group.
- Get a Full View of Account Health with the Account Intelligence View. New Account Intelligence view. This provides easy to use filters, high-level statistics, an overview of related Cases and Opportunities and the ability to log an activity/send email.
- Drive Success with Seller Home. New default home page for Sales, Sales Console and Sales Engagement apps. This provides a high-level overview of Opportunity, Account, Lead and Contact data. It also shows goals (weekly/monthly), today’s events, to-do items, recent records and contact suggestions.
Seasonal releases always have lots of information! Here are some of the other features/updates which caught my attention.
Accessibility and Usability
- Get Improved Accessibility in List Views. List views offer more support for keyboard focus (i.e. easier element selection and clearer labelling). This improves List View accessibility.
Change Event Notifications
- IdeaExchange Delivered: Receive Change Event Notifications for More Objects. Change Event Notifications support 34 more objects, including OpportunityLineItem. External systems can subscribe to these events with Change Data Capture (CDC) or custom channels.
- Evaluate Service Appointment Candidates Efficiently by Prioritizing Skill Preferences. New ‘Skill Preference’ service objective available when ‘Field Service Enhanced Scheduling and Optimization’ is enabled.
- Get More Scheduling Flexibility with Work Capacity Limit Relaxation. Relax work capacity limits on a given day to suit business needs/objectives (e.g. surge capacity).
- Stay Productive When Networks Are Down. Enhanced connectivity checks. Field Service Mobile App will periodically check for connectivity. If offline, the app automatically switches to offline mode and uses cached data. When reconnected, changes are synchronised. Contact Salesforce Support to enable.
- Unify Your Organizational Knowledge Across Sources in Salesforce. Unified Knowledge (Beta) centralises knowledge from various systems (e.g. SharePoint, Confluence, Google Drive and websites within Salesforce) to help self-service and ground AI products.
- Boost the Effectiveness of Your Knowledge Articles with Additional Video Resources. Embed videos from more sources into Knowledge articles via the HTML editor (e.g. sharepoint.com). Full list here.
Lightning Web Component (LWC) Enabled Objects
- Experience Improved Performance on More Record Home Pages. LWC Record Home Page migration continues (120+ objects now supported). LWC offers better performance, accessibility and availability. NOTE: WorkOrder, WorkOrderLineItem & ServiceAppointment are no longer LWC-enabled.
Multi-Factor Authentication (MFA) Updates
- MFA Enforcement for Salesforce Orgs Is Shifting to In-App Notifications Starting in Summer ’24. Planned enforcement is being replaced with recurring in-app notifications to admins warning of org non-compliance. Salesforce may revert to enforcement if MFA usage declines.
New Setup Domain
There are several updates on feature retirements:
|Ant Migration Tool End of Life
|Meeting Studio Is Being Retired
|Inbox Mobile Is Being Retired
|1st February 2024
|Salesforce for Outlook Is Being Retired in June 2024
|Streaming API Versions 23.0 Through 36.0 Are Being Retired
|Social Customer Service Starter Park Is Being Retired
|16th November 2024
|31st January 2025
|Salesforce Platform API Versions 21.0 Through 30.0 Retirement (Release Update)
This is not exhaustive. Check out the release notes for any other retirements impacting your org.
Each release introduces core updates for performance, security, and usability. Spring ’24 has the following:
- x4 enforced this release (cannot be disabled when enabled)
- x1 automatically enabled (enabled, but can be disabled until enforcement)
Spring ’24 provides a wide array of new and/or improved features. Be sure to check out the release notes for any other items relevant to your org!
Until next time, thanks for reading! 🐧
Bonus Penguin Fact
You could say penguins have many superpowers. For example, emperor penguins survive in temperatures as low as −40 °C and dive significant depths. However, a recent study has discovered another talent!
A study of breeding chinstrap penguins (Pygoscelis antarcticus) has found that they sleep for 11 hours a day. This may not sound too remarkable, but this is managed through up to 10,000 4 second long microsleeps!
Such a strategy is invaluable; allowing the chinstrap penguin to stay alert and protect their eggs.