Customising the Salesforce Help Menu is a simple way to help user adoption. In this post, we shall look at why you would customise the Salesforce Help Menu.
NOTE: This is only available in Lightning Experience
Table of Contents
Why Customise the Help Menu?
No two businesses are the same. Odds are your Salesforce system (org) has been customised. You may have custom pages, objects or processes. Giving your users an easy way to access the information they need is critical. After all, if no one knows how to use it, adoption will be a struggle!
Since the Spring’ 19 Release, we have been able to customise the help menu. This can be useful for the following reasons:
- Give your users an easy way to access tailored help/training resources (up to 30 resources)
- Control which Salesforce resources are available to users (e.g. contact Salesforce support, keyboard shortcuts, Salesforce documentation, etc)
How do I set this up?
If you are a Salesforce Admin and interested in customising your Salesforce Org’s Help Menu, you can find out here. In summary:
- Go to Setup and navigate to Quick Find
- Type ‘Help’ into Quick Find
- Select ‘Help Menu’ (under User Engagement)
- Enable the settings as you desire (see considerations below)
- Refresh the page and the changes have been applied
Additional information is available here. Key things to bear in mind:
- Engage with your users to understand what resources will help (and which standard resources may not)
- Put the most important resources at the top of the custom section
- Only the first two (of the 30 resources possible at the time of writing) will display by default. If you add more than 2 resources, users will have to click on the custom section to see the additional resources
- The values within the Custom Help Menu are not translated and will appear as entered
- The Help Menu is not available in Salesforce Mobile
- Refer to the article above for more information on custom Help Menus in Packages
- Consider other User Adoption tools in addition to customising the Salesforce Help Menu to ensure your users get the support they need, when they need it
Customising the Salesforce Help Menu is an easy way of providing support resources to users. It can also help with reducing confusion for users, by turning off Help features which may not be relevant. Work with your team to understand whether this feature will help your business.